o'nine

Without dwelling on it too much, 2008 was pretty much an up and down year for. Started off really well as I dedicated myself to becoming a solid 50nl player and moved up steadily to playing in the 200nl games regularly (thanks to mark, ian, brian, dodgy, jason, et al). Unfortunately I became pretty lackadaisical about halfway through the year and my progression ground to a halt. I wasn't booking the hours I needed to constantly improve my game and, obviously, my results suffered. Thankfully I've enjoyed the time away from the tables, so I guess there's a silver lining there somewhere, but I digress...

2009 -- return to form. I've spent the past few days trying to figure out what I want out of poker right now. I know for a fact that it's not going to be used as my primary income anytime soon (and likely not ever), but it is a hobby that I *do* enjoy trying to 'beat.' The past few months I've been unmotivated to play because it had lost that "fun factor" for me... go figure, I'd been losing. Thanks to some brutal honesty from a friend who will remain anonymous I now realize that I had only been fooling myself. How could I honestly expect to keep winning and moving up if I wasn't dedicating myself to actively improving as a poker player?

Enough of that I say. Beginning this week I have a new schedule laid out for myself that will help me start achieving my goals. I'll be playing almost every day as well as reviewing hands, watching vids, reading forums, etc. more than ever. If you don't see any blog posts from me for over a week, please verbally abuse me over IM. Also please feel free to contact me if you want to set up sweats, talk through hands, or whatever else.

Fortunately 2008 was positive as a whole and my bankroll is still more than sufficient, even for 200nl. However, since I'm definitely rusty and am moving all of my play over to a different site (PStars) I think I'll stick to 100nl for this month. I'd like to get in around 20k hands, at which point I can determine if it's time to move back to 200nl for good. Best of luck to everyone on the new year!

Posted byM0NIKER at 12:18 PM  

5 comments:

Unknown said... January 7, 2009 at 2:48 PM  

Welcome back m0niker! Everything you said in your post is spot on imo. Looking forward to seeing more blog posts and discussing hands.

Ian Little said... January 8, 2009 at 8:21 AM  

So you're not dead. Another bet I've lost...

Malfaire said... January 9, 2009 at 2:40 PM  

"IT WILL BE YOUR GLORIOUS COMEBACK, DERRICK"

good looks, kid

Unknown said... January 18, 2009 at 10:22 PM  

"If you don't see any blog posts from me for over a week, please verbally abuse me over IM."

I have not seen you on AIM to abuse, but I assume you may be in Texas with malfaire. If that is the case, all is forgiven if we get a trip report. kthxbye

Malfaire said... January 19, 2009 at 5:03 PM  

UPDATE YOUR FUCKING BLOG

Post a Comment